** This message is being resubmitted from the modperl discussion
** mailing list. Someone suggested that we should write an article
** about using Apache as a mail proxy -- anyone know how we can get
** that done?

We have been using mod_perl successfully for several months now as a
flexible email proxy -- we just wrapped Net::Server::Mail and with a
few additional hacks and it worked. Matt Sergeant did the same thing
with qpsmtpd and I have heard that the performance results were
initially very promising
(http://msgs.securepoint.com/cgi-bin/get/qmail0411/120/1/1/1.html).

More details of our hack (patches etc.) are at
http://www.mailchannels.com/opensource and
http://search.cpan.org/~mock/Apache-SMTP-0.01/lib/Apache/SMTP.pm.

IMHO, using mod_perl as a general application server is a great
idea. For us there really was no other viable alternative. We looked
at POE, Sendmail's milter API, Net::Server and of course qpsmtpd but
the reliability, portability, and scalability of Apache was what
caused us to go through the effort of making our bits work on
mod_perl.

To configure a mail server, it's just a matter of adding a VirtualHost
section to the Apache configuration et voila. And as packages such as
mod_throttle move over to Apache 2, we will gain the wonderment of a
solid resource management tool for mail traffic. Joy!

TTUL
Ken

Frank Wiles [30/11/04 13:30 -0600]:

--