I'm knee-deep in a start-up of my own ... starting, building Revolutionary Web-based Games. The project has gotten a fair deal of attention in angel and VC communities in San Francisco and New York, and is currently in an alpha development state. It's not a success story yet, but it will be next year.

We're using mp2 for all of our web interfaces. In my view, mp2 finally puts Perl to use for what it's really good at in web apps: NOT markup, but true MVC/MVP development. Perl's terse-ity in writing short, specific, and simple functional handlers (DB access, file manipulation, data conversions, etc.) that return XML or other data structs, processed by a filter with mod_xslt (superfast) or mp2 with XML::LibXSLT is, frankly, a dream. Apache2/mp2 puts the functional separation where, IMO, it belongs (the daemon), rather than where most of us have been trying to do it (in a single handler that does all its own processing, dispatching, throwing $r to and fro). In our system, other applications (Flash) need to access those same simple routines, and do so directly, so there's zero code duplication from the server standpoint.

- Dan