Hi:

New to this list, I have been reading your Novamente website. I am not programmer and I can't understand fully your project. I am part of a group of digital music [www.mp3.com.au/cosmodelia] and maybe because of this I have this intuition: a creative musical IA would be a big step in the way toward a AGI.

I don't know if you know Eduardo Reck Miranda' work, you can read his essay: "An Introduction to Music and Artificial Intelligence" at: http://website.lineone.net/~edandalex/ai-essay.htm

and to explore his website: http://website.lineone.net/~edandalex/

This also might interest you:

"PARIS - Just as IBM's Deep Blue showed the world a
 computer can play
 chess as well as a human master, Eduardo Reck
 Miranda, a researcher
 for the Sony Computer Science Laboratories Inc.,
 aims to demonstrate
 a computer program able to compose original music."

I would like to now if your Novamente project includes a similar kind of approach.

[If you want to read about Miranda' Chaosynth [a cellular automata trigger + granular synthesis] check:

I also read about your problems with funding. Maybe a intelligent musical software would be a interesting source of money.

I see the importance of music and art in the way towards singularity in a deeper way; if you and my broken English allow it to me in next posts I would like to share about with you.