From: "Cliff Stabbert" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Sent: Friday, December 27, 2002 6:11 AM

> I suspect that Esperanto will not be much more difficult to tackle
> than any current existing language, or at best a *tiny* bit easier.
> The greatest difficulty of language is not grammar, or spelling,
> punctuation, etc.  To get an AGI to the point of using _any_ language
> "naturally" on the level humans use it is the big challenge.  It can
> be ancient Greek or Latin with all its declensions and exceptions; the
> difficulty lies in the use of language per se.

Agree.  According to my opinion on intelligence, to use a language
"naturally" means to allow all kinds of uncertainty in meaning and usage,
even if the syntax of the language is defined formally. What makes
"artificial languages" easy is the fixed semantics and pragmatics. As soon
as language learning and using become adaptive, the uncertainty becomes
inevitable, and the language becomes difficult to tackle. For this reason, I
guess that all natural languages have the same level of complexity for AI
(though there are surely minor differences).

Pei

please go to http://v2.listbox.com/member/?[EMAIL PROTECTED]