Stephen Reed wrote:
> > The idea of goals is ... not ... applicable to general
>> intelligence in any meaningful way. The entire approach that it
>> suggests is that it focuses only on one tiny subsystem of human
>> cognitive function and neglects the vast aparatus which orchistrates
>> our behavior. I have been thinking about writing a post to discuss and
>> promote an engineering approach to AGI... =\

> In disagreement with this point in particular and with your overall
> dissatisfaction with the SIAI Friendly AI doctrine, I immediately saw
> the wisdom and applicability of a deliberative causal goal system as
> the principle for ensuring that Cyc becomes a safe AGI - should we
> first achieve it.

Aaah! Real discussion. =)

I don't think there is any danger whatsoever of Cyc becoming an AGI. ;)

The fact that you so clearly see goals as being applicable to Cyc proves
that cyc is not a general AI. This test works but for what I have given
so far it is a bit circular...

> Cycorp has an engineering approach to creating AI.

>From what I've heard, CyC hasn't been about strong AI since the mid
'80s.

> We have made common the term Ontological Engineering for example.

Which has no relevance to AGI because an AGI is a meta-ontological
system.

You merely have the most extensive expert system database in existance.

> Although Brain Science may converge with AI and each field will
> contribute to understanding the other,

As has been happening for decades already.

> Cyc is not at all engineered as a model of human cognitive processes,
> rather we proceed from symbolic logic to develop an ambitious
> vocabulary

That approach is completely inadequate for producing a general
intelligence.

> to deductively reason about the full range of human concepts,

That is impossible.

For it to have such a capability it would need to be capable, if
suitably stimulated, of producing something like:
www.jabberwocky.com/carroll/walrus.html

> and hopefully from there to use the vocabulary to manifest cognitive
> behavior.

Only in a limited way.

--
I WANT A DEC ALPHA!!! =)