Ben Goertzel wrote:
So your basic point is that, because these clones are acting by simulating
programs that finish running in <T timesteps, they're not going to be able
to simulate each other very accurately.

Whereas, a pair of clones each possessing a more flexible control algorithm
could perform better in the game.  Because, if a more flexible player wants
to simulate his opponent, he can choose to devote nearly ALL his
thinking-time inbetween moves to simulating his opponent.  Because these
more flexible players are not constrained to a rigid control algorithm that
divides up their time into little bits, simulating a huge number of fast
programs.
From my bystander POV I got something different out of this exchange of messages... it appeared to me that Eliezer was not trying to say that his point was regarding having more time for simulating, but rather that humans possess a qualitatively different "level" of reflectivity that allows them to "realize" the situation they're in, and therefore come up with a simple strategy that probably doesn't even require much simulating of their clone. It is this reflectivity difference that I thought was more important to understand... or am I wrong?
--
Brian Atkins