Saturday, February 15, 2003, 1:25:19 PM, Daniel Colonnese wrote:

DC> A few days ago this article came out:
DC> http://www.israel21c.org/bin/en.jsp?enPage=BlankPage&enDisplay=view&enDi
DC> spWhat=object&enDispWho=Articles%5El306&enZone=Technology&enVersion=0&

DC> A company called Meganet is claiming that their VME encryption is
DC> unbreakable and even offering prizes such as a Ferrari or $1m. to anyone
DC> who could break into a VME-protected file.

DC> Cool huh?

On closer inspection, not really.  The company and its claims have
been around for a while.  (And the challenge has expired).

As to those claims, having recently been reading about Kolmogorov
complexity, Chaitin's omega and AIT I was immediately struck by this
quote from http://www.meganet.com/technology/intro.htm :
  The basis of VME is a Virtual Matrix, a matrix of binary values which
  is, in theory, infinite in size and therefore contains no redundant
  values. The data to be encrypted is compared to the data in the
  Virtual Matrix. Once a match is found, a set of pointers that indicate
  how to navigate inside the Virtual Matrix is created.

Infinite matrix, "therefore" no redundant values...uhuh...just figure
out the pointers -- sure.  It gets worse, much worse (the data never
gets sent! just some pointers! and we triple-encrypt those! etc.), and
Bruce Schneier has devoted some non-too-kind words to this and other
security companies' "snake oil" at
  http://www.counterpane.com/crypto-gram-9902.html

--
Cliff