Flash memories could not be used as memory - they withstand no more than 100.000 rewrites. (I do not recall this properly it could be even less then 10.000)

Milon

Lukasz Kaiser wrote:

Hi.

Given that your core system is C# this could be a bit of a problem.

Just to put my 2c, if you should have the idea to try .NET under linux, better first do some tests. In my experience the linux .NET runtime (mono),
although almost fully compatible, is about 5-10 time slower than that on Windows and does not handle over 1GB of memory even if it is there (on 32 bit system at least).

Does anyone know how flash drives perform in such setting, can they
be used as a slower alternative to RAM ?

- lk