To answer your questions:

Right now the most machines we have used for a single NM installation is 4

However, scaling up to many machines is NOT our biggest issue by any means...

In 2000, we ran our Webmind AI Engine system (with a conceptually
similar distributed processing infrastructure) on a network of 30+
quad processor PC's ...

This kind of infrastructural stuff is not the obstacle to AGI, the
obstacle is in getting the  learning/memory algorithms right....  I
think the NM design contains a workable solution to this problem but
there remain plenty of details to resolve via experimentation...

NM is not at this point designing itself, no -- it is still at the
"infantile" stage...

ben