> Can it represent negatives?
ATM:
Yes.
http://mind.sourceforge.net/negsvo.html is the negation module.

> Time?
ATM:
Yes.
http://mind.sourceforge.net/variable.html#t is the time "t" variable.
However, the variable has no correspondence with actual time.
On the other hand, at the outset of a run of the AI program,
and at each time when the user Tabs into Transcript mode,
the AI reads the Windows system clock for the time and date.
Therefore, the AI is capable of having an "innate" sense of
time, right on down to the hour, minute and second.

> Textures?
Not yet, because textures must be part of a robot sensorium.

> Relationships?
Yes, that is what the AI Mind is all about -- establishing
relationships between entities as mediated linguistically by verbs.

> Distinguish homonyms from context?
I believe so, because the current AI uses ASCII characters,
not phonemes.

> Represent the concept of a homonym?
At this stage, I am not sure.

> Represent itself?
The AI has a concept of self or ego, so that words like
"you" and "me" and "I" are directed properly to the
concepts of self or "other" as necessary in the I/O stream.

> Can it handle deixis?
Since I have a degree in ancient Greek and briefly
attended U Cal Berkeley graduate school in classics,
I know that "deixis" from "deiknumi" means
"pointing" or "showing," and so I must admit
that the AI is not far enough along to "show" things.
It is an implementation of the simplest thinking that
I can muster -- a "proof of concept" program.

> More importantly, do you have any principled reason
> for claiming that it will soon be able to handle any
> of these things, other than your statement of optimism
> "If robot builders were to add sensory and motor
> routines to Mind.Forth, the AI would flesh out its
> conceptual knowledge and interact with the world."?
ATM:
I don't claim how "soon" or how "not soon," but
http://mind.sourceforge.net/sesorium.html is where I
point out that the addition of multisensory inputs
will allow the build-up of conceptual knowledge so
that the AI will actually know what nouns refer to.
As the AI is now, it only knows the relationships
among the concepts in its knowledge base.

http://mind.sourceforge.net/motorium.html invites locomotion.

> So far, what you describe looks like something I wrote
> in Basic on a Sinclair Spectrum computer in 1982.
>
> Richard Loosemore

It would most likely be extremely difficult if not impossible
to port Mind.Forth into circa 1982 Sinclair Spectrum BASIC.

Thank you for the astute questions.

Sincerely,

Arthur T. Murray
--