  From: David Clark
  To: agi@v2.listbox.com
  Sent: Wednesday, February 21, 2007 2:27 PM
  Subject: **SPAM** Re: [agi] Development Environments for AI (a few
non-religious comments!)

  Unless the database is built into the language then using a database, outside
the AGI,  will never work.  The data and code connection must be within the
same development system.  The overhead of sending, parsing, optimizing the
query, getting the data, preparing the result set, sending it back to the
original program, and then putting the result into useful variables is just too
much.

  There are alternatives that can give an extremely fast data access, full
language and other qualities necessary to creating an AGI out there.

  MySQL is not only slow, but has no language capable of creating anything.
Lisp, Python, C++ etc don't have the necessary power tools to create much of
anything without starting everything from scratch.

  Some manipulations for any large project (AGI) can be done in memory but
without a scalable and flexible way of storing and retrieving large amounts of
data from disk, no AGI is going to be built using conventional computers any
time soon.

  David Clark