Josh: People learn best when they recieve simple, progressive, unambiguous
instructions or examples. This is why young humans imprint on parent-figures,
have heroes, and so forth -- heuristics to cut the clutter and reduce
conflict of examples. An AGI that was trying to learn from the Internet from
scratch would be very confused -- but that's not a good way to teach it.
I'll be happy if I can get my system to learn from me alone. Then I can *teach
it* to be able to handle contradictory inputs -- at least to the extent that
I can do so myself.

Nope. You're taking the obvious line, the simple, top-down, "totalitarian" line - as indeed most people in AI/AGI do.

Nature knows better. The best way to get people to learn complex, problematic activities is not to give them simple instructions - education threw out rote learning and variations thereon, long ago, although it hasn't totally embraced nature's way yet. (And simple unambiguous instructions for any problematic activity are a philosophical, cognitive and practical impossibility. What are Josh's simple unambiguous instructions for how to do sex/ conversation/ tennis/ investing?)

The best way to get people to learn is to make them figure things out for themselves .

At least you should start to be able to see now that there's a massive - and v. significant - divide between us.

P.S. Confusion is a basic psychobiological response of the brain - classically exemplified in the furrowed brow. Like I said, there's no equivalent in computers. Nature doesn't produce something so fundamental without extremely good, functional reason.