Josh: An AGI needs to be able to watch someone doing something and produce a program
such that it can now do the same thing.

Sounds neat and tidy. But that's not the way the human mind does it. We start from ignorance and confusion about how to perform any given skill/ activity - and while we then acquire an enormous amount of relevant routines - we never build a whole module or program for any activity. We "never stop learning", whether we're committed to that attitude philosophically or not. And we never stop being confused. Are you certain about how best to write programs? Or have sex? Or a conversation? Or play chess? Or tennis? All our activities, like those, demand and repay a lifetime's study. An AGI will have to have a similar approach to enjoy any success.