I guess I am mundane.  I don’t spend a lot of time thinking about a
“definition of intelligence.”  Goertzel’s is good enough for me.

Instead I think in  terms of what I want these machines to do -- which
includes human-level:

-NL understanding and generation (including discourse level)

-Speech recognition and generation (including appropriate pitch and volume
modulation)

-Non-speech auditory recognition and generation

-Visual recognition and real time video generation

-World-knowledge representation, understanding and reasoning

-Computer program understanding and generation

-Common sense reasoning

-Cognition

-Context sensitivity

-Automatic learning

-Intuition

-Creativity

-Inventiveness

-Understanding human nature and human desires and goals(not expecting full
human-level here)

-Ability to scan and store and, over time, convert and incorporate into
learned deep structure vast amounts of knowledge including ultimately all
available recorded knowledge

To do such thinking I have come up with a fairly uniform approach to all
these tasks, so I guess you could call that approach something approaching
"a theory of intelligence".  But I mainly think of it as a theory of how
to get certain really cool things done.

I don’t expect to get what is listed all at once, but, barring some major
set back, this will probably all happen (with perhaps partial exception on
the last item) within twenty years, and with the right people getting big
money most of it could substantially all happen in ten.

In addition, as we get closer to the threshold I think “intelligence” (at
least from our perspective) should include:

-helping make individual people, human organizations, and human government
more intelligent, happy, cooperative, and peaceful

-helping creating a transition into the future that is satisfying for most
humans

Edward W. Porter
Porter & Associates
24 String Bridge S12