From: Benjamin Goertzel [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent: Sunday, October 21, 2007 8:49 AM
To: agi@v2.listbox.com
Subject: Re: [agi] Human memory and number of synapses.. P.S.

Some semi-organized responses to points raised in this thread...

1) About spatial maps...

It seems to be the case that the brain uses spatial maps a lot, which
abstract
considerably from the "territory" they represent

Similarly in Novamente we have a spatial map data structure which has an
adjustable level of detail -- but for most purposes a high level of detail
isn't needed.
(Most obviously, we use spatial maps right now for navigation within
virtual
worlds; but will also use something similar for object
recognition/classification....)

In Novamente a spatial map is basically a spatial index into the overall
AtomTable
that stores knowledge as nodes and links.  So we have a table of spatial
maps,
each spatial map living in its own relative coordinate system.

2) About the level of detail remembered about visual scenes

Furthermore, it seems to be the case that the brain stores a lot of detail
about some
things that it sees -- and much less about others.

For instance, it's famous that when observing a visual scene, a person can
generally
remember only around 7 visual facts about it.  Trained observers can of
course overcome
this limitation.  But there are loads of psychological studies validating
how little we
really remember of scenes we've seen.  Check out the book "Is the Visual
World
a Grand Illusion?" which is an informative little edited volume.

3) About the constructive nature of memory

In very many cases, what we feel like we're remembering is actually stuff
we're
reconstructing.  This is validated in so many domains and ways via
psychological
experiment, I don't have time to dig up the references now.  It's textbook
cognitive
psych.

This applies in vision as well.  We think we're remembering a detailed
visual scene,
but really we're remembering something sketchy and filling in the details.

4) On the value of visual imagination for cognition

So, here's one question.  Let's say we're imagining something visually in
the course
of thinking about it.  And let's say that this visual imagination consists
of

-- some dynamics going on at the level of an underlying, abstracted
representation
(the form in which we really remember most visual scenes, for example)
-- some dynamics going on at the level of "constructed details", invented
on the fly
based on this abstracted representation

How much thinking has to do with the underlying representation, and how
much
with the constructed details?  I would bet the vast majority has to do
with the
underlying representation, yet the constructed details may also play a
role, say,
in activation-spreading between associated things...

5) Vision is not central to cognition

So, I do think that for any mind associated with a system that has to move
around
in a complex world, and that uses sight as a primary modality, the
manipulation of
spatial maps and associated images is going to be an important aspect of
cognition.

However, I really don't think it's central.  I think you could make a
humanlike mind
that lacked vision and instead possessed some totally different kind of
sensorium.
I think the human brain architecture would still make sense.

Similarly, an architecture like Novamente still makes perfect sense if one
gets
rid of vision and replaces it with something else.

6) The cortex does not "speak vision"; the cognitive cortex did not evolve

from the visual cortex

It's worth noting, finally, that it is OLFACTION not vision that feeds
directly into
the cortex.  Visual stimuli, like that of the other 3 senses, must pass
thru the
thalamus to get translated into cortex-language (so to speak).  A lot of
preprocessing
in the LGN and other places is required to translate the output of the
optic nerves into
something the cortex can grok.  So it's not the case that the  cortex is
somehow
naturally structured to reflect the structure of visual data.  More so
it's naturally structured
to reflect the structure of olfactory data.  Or so says neuroanatomy...

Furthermore, cognitive cortex evolved from olfactory cortex not visual
cortex.
As Gary Lynch noted years ago, this is likely because olfaction involves a
lot of wildly
tangled combinatory neural connections, whereas vision (as Jeff Hawkins is
fond of
observing) involves a lot of hierarchical connections.  I suspect that the
wild intercombinatory
aspect of olfactory cortex proved very useful, evolutionarily, for
cognition ... more so than
the more rigid hierarchy of visual cortex.

7) It's just not that simple...

As realizing a mind within limited computational constraints is difficult
and complex, it's
very tempting to take a single aspect (logic! images! reinforcement
learning!) and decide
this aspect is the essence of intelligence, or human intelligence.  I
don't think so.

As I said long ago (and others said longer ago), the key thing is to have
an architecture
in which different semi-specialized modules can play together and learn
from each other
and modulate each others' intrinsic inefficiencies and shortcomings.  The
human brain
provides this (see Steven Mithen's book on the Prehistory of Mind for some
ideas on
this from an evolutionary perspective) and the Novamente design tries to
provide this
also...

-- Ben Goertzel

  _____