Edward,

Did you read Izhikevich's papers (specifically, [1])? They explore the model
of polychronization, where cell assemblies are formed in different ways
depending on temporal shifts of firings of neurons that initiate assembly's
formation. He has some experimental estimations, but they are drawn on
untrained (content-wise) networks, so it's unclear if they are useful (in
paper I referenced he gives a figure of about 5000 groups in a network of
1000 neurons with 100 connections per neuron and delays of 1 to 20 synch
spans). Also definition of polychronous group is too wide and seem to
include stable patterns of behavior of any complexity (or simplicity...),
which doesn't correspond well to cell assemblies. For example, paper [2]
gives a figure of 3000 groups on a network of 200 neurons.

Still I don't see how it could help with induction: as I wrote in parallel
thread, number of connections is a strong limitation that can't be overcome
with dynamics without some kind of global identifier coding.

[1] Izhikevich E.M. (2006). Polychronization: Computation With Spikes.
**<http://vesicle.nsi.edu/users/izhikevich/publications/spnet.htm>
[2] Helene Paugam-Moisy, Regis Martinez and Samy Bengio. (2007). A
supervised learning approach based on STDP and polychronization in spiking
neuron networks.