> More generally, I don't perceive any readiness to recognize that  the brain
> has the answers to all the many unsolved problems of AGI  -

Obviously the brain contains answers to many of the unsolved problems of
AGI (not all -- e.g. not the problem of how to create a stable goal system
under recursive self-improvement).   However, current neuroscience does
NOT contain these answers.

And neither you nor anyone else has ever made a cogent argument that
emulating the brain is the ONLY route to creating powerful AGI.  The closest
thing to such an argument that I've seen
was given by Eric Baum in his book "What Is
Thought?", and I note that Eric has backed away somewhat from that
position lately.

> I think it
> should be obvious that AGI isn't going to happen - and none of the unsolved
> problems are going to be solved - without major creative leaps. Just look
> even at the ipod & iphone -  major new technology never happens without such
> leaps.

The above sentence is rather hilarious to me.

If the Ipod and Iphone are your measure for "creative leaps" then
there have been
loads and loads of major creative leaps in AGI and narrow-AI research.

Anyway it seems to me that you're not just looking for creative leaps,
you're looking
for creative leaps that match your personal intuition.  Perhaps the
real problem is that
your personal intuition about intelligence is largely off-base ;-)

As an example of a creative leap (that is speculative and may be wrong, but is
certainly creative), check out my hypothesis of emergent social-psychological
intelligence as related to mirror neurons and octonion algebras:

http://www.goertzel.org/dynapsyc/2007/mirrorself.pdf

I happen to think the real subtlety of intelligence happens on the
emergent level,
and not on the level of the particulars of the system that gives rise
to the emergent
phenomena.  That paper conjectures some example phenomena that I believe
occur on the emergent level of intelligent systems.

Loosemore agrees with me on the importance of emergence, but he feels
there is a fundamental
irreducibility that makes it pragmatically impossible to figure out
via science, math
and intuition which concrete structures/dynamics will give rise to the
right emergent
structures, without doing a massive body of simulation experiments.  I
think he overstates
the degree of irreducibility.

-- Ben G