Jean-Paul,

Although complexity is one of the areas associated with AI where I have less
knowledge than many on the list, I was aware of the general distinction you
are making.

What I was pointing out in my email to Richard Loosemore what that the
definitions in his paper "Complex Systems, Artificial Intelligence and
Theoretical Psychology," for "irreducible computability" and "global-local
interconnect" themselves are not totally clear about this distinction, and
as a result, when Richard says that those two issues are an unavoidable part
of AGI design that must be much more deeply understood before AGI can
advance, by the more loose definitions which would cover the types of
complexity involved in large matrix calculations and the design of a massive
supercomputer, of course those issues would arise in AGI design, but its no
big deal because we have a long history of dealing with them.

But in my email to Richard I said I was assuming he was not using this more
loose definitions of these words, because if he were, they would not present
the unexpected difficulties of the type he has been predicting.  I said I
though he was dealing with more the potentially unruly type of complexity, I
assume you were talking about.

I am aware of that type of complexity being a potential problem, but I have
designed my system to hopefully control it.  A modern-day well functioning
economy is complex (people at the Santa Fe Institute often cite economies as
examples of complex systems), but it is often amazingly unchaotic
considering how loosely it is organized and how many individual entities it
has in it, and how many transitions it is constantly undergoing.  Unsually,
unless something bangs on it hard (such as having the price of a major
commodity all of a sudden triple), it has a fair amount of stability, while
constantly creating new winners and losers (which is a productive form of
mini-chaos).  Of course in the absence of regulation it is naturally prone
to boom and bust cycles.

So the system would need regulation.

Most of my system operates on a message passing system with little concern
for synchronization, it does not require low latencies, most of its units,
operate under fairly similar code.  But hopefully when you get it all
working together it will be fairly dynamic, but that dynamism with be under
multiple controls.

I think we are going to have to get such systems up and running to find you
just how hard or easy they will be to control, which I acknowledged in my
email to Richard.  I think that once we do we will be in a much better
position to think about what is needed to control them.  I believe such
control will be one of the major intellectual challenges to getting AGI to
function at a human-level.  This issue is not only preventing runaway
conditions, it is optimizing the intelligence of the inferencing, which I
think will be even more import and diffiducle.  (There are all sorts of
damping mechanisms and selective biasing mechanism that should be able to
prevent many types of chaotic behaviors.)  But I am quite confident with
multiple teams working on it, these control problems could be largely
overcome in several years, with the systems themselves doing most of the
learning.

Even a little OpenCog AGI on a PC, could be interesting first indication of
the extent to which complexity will present control problems.  As I said if
you had 3G of ram for representation, that should allow about 50 million
atoms.  Over time you would probably end up with at least hundreds of
thousand of complex patterns, and it would be interesting to see how easy it
would be to properly control them, and get them to work together as a
properly functioning thought economy in what ever small interactive world
they developed their self-organizing pattern base.  Of course on such a PC
based system you would only, on average, be able to do about 10million
pattern to pattern activations a second, so you would be talking about a
fairly trivial system, but with say 100K patterns, it would be a good first
indication of how easy or hard agi systems will be to control.

Ed Porter