Interesting - after drafting three replies I have come to realize that it is
possible to hold two contradictory views and live or even run with it. Looking
at their writings, both Ben & Richard know damn well what complexity means and
entails for AGI.
Intuitively, I side with Richard's stance that, if the current state of 'the
new kind of science' cannot even understand simple chaotic systems - the
toy-problems of three-variable differential quadratic equations  and 2-D Alife,
then what hope is there to find a theoretical solution for a really complex
system. The way forward is by experimental exploration of part of the solution
space. I don't think we'll find general complexity theories any time soon.
On the other hand, practically I think that it *is* (or may be) possible to
build an AGI system up carefully and systematically from the ground up i.e.
inspired by a sound (or at least plausible) theoretical framework or by
modelling it on real-world complex systems that seem to work (because that's
the way I proceed too), finetuning the system parameters and managing emerging
complexity as we go along and move up the complexity scale. (Just like
engineers can build pretty much anything without having a GUT.)
Both paradagmatic approaches have their merits and are in fact complementary:
explore, simulate, genetically evolve etc. from the top down to get a bird's
eye view of the problem space versus incrementally build up from the bottom up
following a carefully chartered path/ridge inbetween the chasms of the unknown
based on a strong conceptual theoretical founding. It is done all the time in
other sciences - even maths!
Interestingly, I started out wanting to use a simulation tool to check the
behaviour (read: fine-tune the parameters) of my architectural designs but then
realised that the simulation of a complex system is actually a complex system
itself and it'd be easier and more efficient to prototype than to simulate. But
that's just because of the nature of my architecture. Assuming Ben's theories
hold, he is adopting the right approach. Given Richard's assumption or
intuitions, he is following the right path too. I doubt that they will converge
on a common solution but the space of conceivably possible AGI architectures is
IMHO extremely large. In fact, my architectural approach is a bit of a poor
cousin/hybrid: having neither Richard's engineering skills nor Ben's
mathematical understanding I am hoping to do a scruffy alternative path :)
--

Research Associate: CITANDA
Post-Graduate Section Head