Ed Porter wrote:
"OpenCog: A Software Framework for Integrative Artificial General Intelligence" by Dave Hart and Ben Goertzel says

"Contingent upon funding for OpenCog proceeding as planned, we are targeting 1H08 for our first official code release, to be accompanied by a full complement of documentation, tools, and development support"

Is there any show of support from people on the AGI and OpenCog lists that might help the funding effort, such as making small contributions or writing emails to any of the major potential contributors, that might help persuade them of the need, importance, and desire in the AGI community for this effort?

I am sorry, but I have reservations about the OpenCog project.

The problem of building an open-source AI needs a framework-level tool that is specifically designed to allow a wide variety of architectures to be described and expressed.

OpenCog, as far as I can see, does not do this, but instead takes a particular assortment of mechanisms as its core, then suggests that people add modules onto this core. This is not a framework-level approach, but a particular-system approach that locks all future work into the limitations of the initial core.

For example, I have many, many AGI designs that I need to explore, but as far as I can see, none of them can be implemented at all within the OpenCog system. I would have to rewrite OpenCog completely to get it to meet my needs.

Richard Loosemore