From: Richard Loosemore [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent: Thursday, December 27, 2007 7:19 PM
To: agi@v2.listbox.com
Subject: [agi] OpenCog

Ed Porter wrote:
> "OpenCog: A Software Framework for Integrative Artificial General
> Intelligence" by  Dave Hart and Ben Goertzel says
>
> "Contingent upon funding for OpenCog proceeding as planned, we are
> targeting 1H08 for our first official code release, to be accompanied by
> a full complement of documentation, tools, and development support"
>
> Is there any show of support from people on the AGI and OpenCog lists
> that might help the funding effort, such as making small contributions
> or writing emails to any of the major potential contributors, that might
> help persuade them of the need, importance, and desire in the AGI
> community for this effort?

I am sorry, but I have reservations about the OpenCog project.

The problem of building an open-source AI needs a framework-level tool
that is specifically designed to allow a wide variety of architectures
to be described and expressed.

OpenCog, as far as I can see, does not do this, but instead takes a
particular assortment of mechanisms as its core, then suggests that
people add modules onto this core.  This is not a framework-level
approach, but a particular-system approach that locks all future work
into the limitations of the initial core.

For example, I have many, many AGI designs that I need to explore, but
as far as I can see, none of them can be implemented at all within the
OpenCog system.  I would have to rewrite OpenCog completely to get it to
meet my needs.

Richard Loosemore

http://v2.listbox.com/member/?&;