Benjamin: > I believe that you're misrepresenting the situation. I would guess that
most people on this list have an idea that they are pursuing because they believe it has a chance at creating general intelligence.

Fine. Which idea of anyone's do you believe will directly produce general intelligence - i.e. will enable an AGI to solve problems in new unfamiliar domains, and pass the general test I outlined? (And everyone surely agrees, regardless of the test, that an AGI must have "general" intelligence).

Please note very carefully - I am only asking for an idea that will play a direct *part* in solving new-domain problems. Of course *many* ideas will be required to do the job completely. I am only asking for one that gives a glimmer of hope - and am saying I haven't seen a single idea that addresses that problem/goal directly. A new search algorithm, for example, does not address the problem. Neither does a new logic of uncertainty. They might be good and useful new ideas, but they don't address the problem. I have, however, seen people v. definitely avoiding the problem -and hoping that a solution will "emerge" (not a chance).

And if you do address the problem, I think you'll find that it requires not just a creative idea, but a whole new creative *paradigm* of problem-solving.

Benjamin: I get the impression from this posting, and your earlier posting about a
"Simple mathematical test of cog sci" that you see intelligence as something "crazy and spontaneous" (to use your words) - something almost magical. With that position, it would seem logical for you to expect a solution to AGI to also appear magical.

No, that impression is completely wrong - although since you're the second person to say that, maybe it's my fault. I believe we are thinking machines and not in any way magical. I just believe that our thinking works on different mechanistic/ computational principles to those of programs - which someone apart from me, surely should at least question. It has to be a serious *possibility* that programs equal narrow AI, and are the wrong paradigm for AGI. Hence, the oft-stated objection:

"The problem with most robots is that they tend to be, well, robotic. They know nothing they aren't programmed to know, and can do nothing they aren't programmed to do."
Robot Pals. Scientific American Frontiers (April 13, 2005).

So, Ben, show me one idea from anyone that can get a program to do what it isn't programmed to do - cross into unfamiliar domains.