On 05/02/2008, Mike Tintner <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> William P : I can't think
> of any external test that can't be fooled by a giant look up table
> (ned block thought of this argument first).
>
> A by definition requirement of a "general test" is that the systembuilder
> doesn't set it, and can't prepare for it as you indicate. He can't know
> whether the test for, say, his lego-constructing system is going to be
> building a machine, or constructing a water dam with rocks, or a game that
> involves fitting blocks into holes.

He can't know. but he might guess. It will be hard to test between the
builders lucky guess(es) and generality.

>  His system must be able to adapt to any
> adjacent-domain activity whatsoever. That too is the point of the robot
> challenge test - the roboticists won't know beforehand what that planetary
> camp emergency is going to be.

I think we have different ideas of what a test should be. I am looking
for a scientific test, in which repeatability and fairness are
important features.

One last question what exactly defines adjacent in your test? Is
composing poetry adjacent to solving non-linear equations.

I agree that this type of testing will winnow out lots of non-general
systems.  But it might let a few slip through the cracks or say a
general system is non-general. I would fail the test some days when I
am ill, as all I would want to do is go to sleep not try and solve the
problem.

  Will Pearson