On Fri, Feb 29, 2008 at 1:37 PM, Abram Demski <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> However, Solomonoff induction needs infinite computational resources, so
> this clearly isn't a justification.

see http://www.hutter1.net/ai/paixi.htm

"The major drawback of the AIXI model is that it is uncomputable. To
overcome this problem, we construct a modified algorithm AIXI^tl, which is
still superior to any other time t and space l bounded agent. The
computation time of AIXI^tl is of the order t x 2^l."

In any case, whether or not Solomnoff in induction can actually be used to
make an AI is beside the point. Analogous to a point made by Eliezer
Yudkowsky (http://www.overcomingbias.com/2008/01/beautiful-proba.html),
Solomnoff Induction is the precise definition of the right answer: the
*law*. It is not the definition of how you go about getting that answer. An
abstract definition of an algorithm should not include, e.g., register
assignments.

> My thinking is that a more-universal theoretical prior would be a prior
> over logically definable models, some of which will be incomputable.

I'm not exactly sure what you're talking about, but I assume that these
logically definable models would be defined in some formal language, which
means that they would be caught by Solomnoff.

Daniel