Derek

On 4/16/08, Derek Zahn <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Steve Richfield, writing about J Storrs Hall:
>
> > You sound like the sort that once the things is sort of
> > roughed out, likes to polish it up and make it as good as possible.
>
> I don't believe your characterization is accurate.  You could start with
> this well-done book to check that opinion:
>
> http://www.amazon.com/Beyond-AI-Creating-Conscience-Machine/dp/1591025117

Very interesting.

> Because you are new to the discussion here you probably don't quite get
> the topic of this mailing list (AGI);

I think that I do - see comments after addressing your other comments.

 the system sort-of described in your papers

I described TWO systems. The one in this thread I specifically designed with
a mind to eventually emulate YOU, neuron-by-neuron, synapse-by-synapse, in
real time.

The one mentioned in my "Comments from a lurker" thread mentions Dr. Eliza,
that is designed to solve difficult problems in simple ways that billions of
people have missed for a million years, and very likely ANY
astronomically-sized AGI machine would miss for centuries. It was unclear
how AGI was supposed to quickly do something that was only possible after
10E14 human years of wars and other strife, without having to go through,
and even potentially cause the same.

Proof by example to me, but apparently still not yet to the remainder of
this group, is that there ARE really important things that can only be
solved inductively, and that socialized AGI-like humans have SO little
inductive abilities that even relatively simple concepts have simply escaped
human capabilities for a thousand millennia. I clearly understand this
because my own native inductive abilities are also in short supply. I had to
"hang on by my fingernails" just to get through differential equations. I
eventually developed my own assortment of mental crutches to survive my
shortfall in native inductive ability, which were subsequently expanded upon
to form Dr. Eliza's concept and innards.

 does not address any of the issues of that topic (as defined in its core
> publications and conferences) so don't be too surprised if people here are
> not particularly excited about it.

Hmm, I haven't seen a reference to those core publications. Is there a
semi-official list?

Much of what is presently known about human neuro-anatomy comes to people
from the writings of Dr. William Calvin. I was his assistant at the U of W
Department of Neurological Surgery. That was AFTER I had performed one of
the first neurological simulations and the first known to have categorized
inputs via unsupervised learning. We held each other's feet to the fire, Me
for being wet-science correct, and Calvin for models that performed
good-math computations. Everyone knows about synapses performing weighted
accumulations, but few people know that many/most integrate and
differentiate, and that inhibitory synapses are typically VERY non-linear
with some VERY interesting transfer function, etc.

I published a paper at the first IJCNN in San Diego explaining how
everything pointed to wet neurons generally computing with the logarithms of
probabilities of assertions being true. That simple fact should have guided
future research, but lab researchers not being mathematicians, and neither
going to NN conferences, this guiding fact as died away like the echo of
some long-forgotten noise. When a tree falls in the forest...

My son has beliefs that closely match those expressed by others on this
forum, and we sometimes have long arguments about what is and is not
reasonable for a human scale neural simulation program - beyond more
all-too-human stupidity.

My son has also developed the best known (and acknowledged as such at an
unrelated WORLDCOMP presentation) general purpose neural net simulation
program that runs on a PC, that is at once fast, flexible, and
well-instrumented. It has good-looking graphics (that look like contemporary
test instruments with fantastic abilities) and is able to stick its
tentacles deeply into other applications (like flight simulator) to provide
interactive input. I give him all the support that I can, but I still
question where this is all going. His program is (presently) written in
VB.net, converted from its earlier VB.

My own personal interest is in living forever, but regardless of how
expanded my brain might become, I suspect that I will STILL have the
shortcomings that this sort of architecture brings with it, scary though
that might be. THAT was part of my motivation for designing Dr. Eliza, which
(it appears to me) could quickly (like in a year of adequate funding) grow
beyond any AGI's future problem-solving abilities. It may take the likes of
an evolved Dr. Eliza to provide the problem solving ability needed to design
the AGI that people are discussing here.

Steve Richfield