Bob,

On 6/8/08, Bob Mottram <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> 2008/6/8 Ben Goertzel <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>:
> > Those of us w/ experience in the field have heard the objections you
> > and Tintner are making hundreds or thousands of times before.  We have
> > already processed the arguments you're making and found them wanting.
>

> I entirely agree with this response.  To anyone who does believe that
> they're ahead of the game and being ignored my advice would be to
> produce some working system which can be demonstrated - even if it's
> fairly minimalist.  It's much harder to people to ignore a working
> demo than mere philosophical debate or speculation.

Dr. Eliza does that rather well, showing how a really simple program can
deliver part of what AGI promises in the long distant future, with a good
user interface and no dangers of it taking over the world. Further, it
better delimits what an AGI must be able to do to be valuable, as
duplicating the function of a simple program should NOT be on the list of
hoped-for capabilities.

The BIG lesson of Dr. Eliza is that it hinges on one particular fragment of
machine knowledge that does NOT appear on Internet postings, casual
conversations, or even direct experience. That fragment is what people
typically say to demonstrate their ignorance of an issue. Every expert knows
these utterances, but they rarely if ever appear in text. Give authors
suitable blanks to fill in, and Dr. Eliza "comes to life". Without that
level of information, I seriously doubt the future of any AGI system.

In short, I have produced my demo and presented it to International
audiences at AI conferences, and hereby return this particular ball to your
court.

Steve Richfield