Matt

A number of key approaches to AI, such as brain modeling through neural
networks, have repeatedly been attempted, although scarcely enough detailed
information exists about the brain to warrant any such serious inroads. In
actuality, the key solution to developing convincing artificial intelligence
invokes an innate understanding of human language in general. Indeed, the
preeminent test for AI devised by Alan Turing abstains from relying upon any
direct measure of consciousness or perception for its determination, rather
targeting only the communicative factors underlying human language.
Consequently, assuming the symbolic attributes of human language could be
convincingly simulated on the computer, then many decades of needless effort
could potentially be cut from either the neural-net or consciousness/perceptual
approaches. Along these lines, the recent U.S. patent (#6,587,846) and the
newly released Transitional enhancement (# 7,236,963) have recently been
granted for precisely such a technical approach based upon the symbolic
attributes underlying affective language. Clear precedents already exist within
the field with respect to chess-playing computers that prove particularly
adequate for modeling the symbolisms underlying such an abstract gaming format
(although scarcely capable of anything else). In a similar fashion, the
symbolic attributes of the language tradition prove a similarly comprehensive
goal, although several orders of magnitude more abstract and complex in this
regard. Certainly the primary economic focus of society as a whole is mediated
chiefly through the symbolisms of human communication, specifying language as
the most rational focal point for ongoing research. This is not necessarily
meant to imply that a sensory/motor enabled robot designed to make sense of its
immediate environment is not a rational focus for directed research. Indeed,
such an achievement could eventually be merged with the currently proposed
language simulation model to permit a more conceptually complete computer
avatar. As far as the most economically direct human applications are
concerned, however, it proves entirely more cost effective to initially target
the symbolic attributes of human language (in all of its various
manifestations).

Fortunately, a convenient shortcut to the daunting complexity of this direct
language simulation has recently been proposed (the technical basis for the
aforementioned patent). This new approach directly focuses upon the
motivational (or emotional/affective) aspects of language as its guiding
principle, with the remaining bulk of value-neutral language filling-in in an
accessory role. Indeed, as Robert Warren Penn once insightfully wrote: "What is
man but his passions?" Along similar lines, most neuroscientists consider the
mind/brain complex as a vast motivational analyzer that enables the individual
to flourish in harmony with the environment. Indeed, by focusing primarily upon
the affective aspects of human language, an economically feasible shortcut to
the AI simulation of human communication finally appears within reach.

Much detailed programming remains to be done, perhaps necessitating a
customized coding language (and supportive hardware) consistent with a project
of this magnitude. With a starting staff roughly the size of a large
encyclopedia work force, a first generation simulation could potentially be
achieved within a fairly modest time frame. Subsequent design generations would
further endeavor to achieve even greater clarity and versatility. This
painstaking process might eventually be more dramatically accelerated if
ultimately accorded the status of a national initiative, particularly in light
of its outright commercial value in terms of friendly AI

JLM

http://www.charactervalues.com
http://www.charactervalues.org
http://www.charactervalues.net