Goodness ... I find this whole thread has gotten a bit over-the-top ... but
I guess it's at least humorous, in a perverse sort of way...

For sure: the biggest obstacle in the way of human intellect creating
superhuman AGI, is humans' emotional nature ;-p

ben

On Sun, Aug 3, 2008 at 7:12 PM, Richard Loosemore <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>wrote:

> David Clark wrote:
>
>> Richard:
>>
>> I was one of the first people to help you get on the AGI list years ago
>> and I have appreciated many of your emails but Ben's comments below are
>> right on the money.
>>
>> Although I don't agree with many of the technical points made by Ed
>> Porter, he is obviously very intelligent (as are you) and has much
>> interesting information and enthusiasm to bring to the table concerning AGI.
>>  I look forward to his emails even more than most of the other posters on
>> this list.
>>
>> I for one, very much appreciate the effort made by Ben in writing this
>> email and I would appreciate more information on AGI and less chest thumping
>> and ego in the emails.
>>
>> Calling other people's ideas stupid, ridiculous etc IS the same as calling
>> other people the same and it hurts just as much.
>>

> David,
>
> Several people have repeated the accusation that I am guilty of namecalling
> and engaging in personal attacks that are just as disgraceful as those that
> Ed Porter just delivered.
>
> You repeat the accusation yourself when you say "Calling other people's
> ideas stupid, ridiculous etc IS the same as calling other people the same."
>
> David, in the spirit of scientific objectivity, I just did a search for the
> word "stupid" in all of the 811 messages that I have ever posted to the AGI
> list.
>
> There were 58 matches, and I just laboriously analyzed every one of them.
>
> Of the 58 total, 41 were completely neutral references to some abstract
> thing that was 'stupid', or to phrases like 'stupidly simple', with no
> bearing on anything that a person on the list said (for example I once said
> "what if a stupid AI hacker were to...").
>
> On 2 occasions I responded to Ed Porter by denying his accusations, and the
> word was not used against him.
>
> On one occasion I quoted Ed Porter saying to me "Despite your statement to
> the contrary --- despite your "FURY" --- I did get your point. Not everybody
> beside Richard Loosemore is stupid."  This was intented to be  a mild insult
> directed at me, although it is kind of confused (he meant to say
> "intelligent", so I suspect that this was a Freudian slip).
>
> On 12 occasions the word was used by someone else, and I just quoted it.
>  The other person was not directing the word at me.
>
> On one occasion I used the word to refer, in the abstract, to some people
> on the SL4 list who had speculated that I may have fabricated my degree
> qualifications.  This was NOT directed at the person I was talking to, and
> it was fully justified by the estraordinary behavior of the people involved.
>  Here is the exact quote:  "(Sorry for the plug, but you know the kind of
> stupid nonsense I have had to take from some unmentionable amateurs on these
> lists who attack arguments by making libelous accusations about a person's
> [...]

Ben Goertzel, PhD
CEO, Novamente LLC and Biomind LLC
Director of Research, SIAI
[EMAIL PROTECTED]

"Nothing will ever be attempted if all possible objections must be first
overcome " - Dr Samuel Johnson