Mark,

Actually I am sympathetic with this idea. I do think good can be
defined. And, I think it can be a simple definition. However, it
doesn't seem right to me to preprogram an AGI with a set ethical
theory; the theory could be wrong, no matter how good it sounds. So,
better to put such ideas in only as probabilistic correlations (or
"virtual evidence"), and let the system change its beliefs based on
accumulated evidence. I do not think this is overly risky, because
whatever the system comes to believe, its high-level goal will tend to
create normalizing subgoals that will regularize its behavior.

I'll stick to my point about defining "make humans happy" being hard,
though. Especially with the restriction "without modifying them" that
you used.