Sorry Pei, you are right, I sloppily  mis-stated!

What I should have said was:

"
the result that the NARS induction and abduction *strength* formulas
each depend on **only one** of their premise truth values ...
"

Anyway, my point in that particular post was not to say that NARS is either
good or bad in this aspect ... but just to note that this IMO is a
conceptually
important point that should somehow "fall right out" of a probabilistic
(or nonprobabilistic) derivation of NARS, rather than being achieved via
carefully fitting complex formulas to produce it...

ben g

On Fri, Oct 10, 2008 at 4:48 PM, Pei Wang <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> On Fri, Oct 10, 2008 at 4:24 PM, Ben Goertzel <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> >
> > In particular, the result that NARS induction and abduction each
> > depend on **only one** of their premise truth values ...
>
> Ben,
>
> I'm sure you know it in your mind, but this simple description will
> make some people think that NARS is obvious wrong.
>
> In NARS, in induction and abduction the truth value of the conclusion
> depends on the truth values of both premises, but in an asymmetric
> way. It is the "frequency" factor of the conclusion that only depends
> on the frequency of one premise, but not the other.
>
> Unlike deduction, the truth-value function of induction and abduction
> are fundamentally asymmetric (on negative evidence), with respect to
> the two premises. Actually, it is the PLN functions that looks wrong
> to me, on this aspect. ;-)
>
> Pei

Ben Goertzel, PhD
CEO, Novamente LLC and Biomind LLC
Director of Research, SIAI
[EMAIL PROTECTED]

"Nothing will ever be attempted if all possible objections must be first
overcome "  - Dr Samuel Johnson