Pei Wang wrote:
Derek,

I have no doubt that their proposal contains interesting ideas and
will produce interesting and valuable results --- most AI projects do,
though the results and the values are often not what they targeted (or
they claimed to be targeting) initially.

"Biologically inspired approaches" are attractive, partly because they
have existing proof for the mechanism to work. However, we need to
remember that "inspired" by a working solution is one thing, and to
treat that solution as the best way to achieve a goal is another.
Furthermore, the difficult part in these approaches is to separate the
aspect of the biological mechanism/process that should be duplicated
from the aspects that shouldn't.

I share your concerns about this project, although I might have a slightly different set of reasons for being doubtful.

I watched part of one of the workshops that Mohdra chaired, on Cognitive Computing, and it gave me the same feeling that neuroscience gatherings always give me: a lot of talk about neural hardware, punctuated by sudden, out-of-the-blue statements about "cognitive" ideas that seem completely unrelated to the ocean of neural talk that comes before and after.

There is a *depresssingly* long history of people doing this - and not just in neuroscience, but in many branches of engineering, in physics, in computer science, etc. There are people out there who know that the mind is the new frontier, and they want to be in the party. They also know that the cognitive scientists (in the broad sense) are probably the folks who are at the center of the party (in the sense of having most comprehensive knowledge). So these people do what they do best, but add in a sprinkling of technical terms and (to be fair) some actual knowledge of some chunks of cognitive science.

Problem is, that to a cognitive scientist what they are doing is amateurish.

Another, closely related thing that they do is talk about low level issues witout realizing just how disconnected those are from where the real story (probably) lies. Thus, Mohdra emphasizes the importance of "spike timing" as opposed to average firing rate. He may well be right that the pattern or the timing is more important, but IMO he is doing the equivalent of saying "Let's talk about the best way to design an algorithm to control an airport. First problem to solve: should we use Emitter-Coupled Logic in the transistors that are in oour computers that will be running the algorithms."

>-|

Richard Loosemore