From: Ben Goertzel [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent: Monday, November 24, 2008 4:59 PM
To: agi@v2.listbox.com
Subject: Re: [agi] Entheogins, understainding the brain, and AGI

Dennett argues that qualia do not exist ... he defines consciousness
as a purely external property, ignoring the notion of "subjective
experience" altogether

Tongue-halfway-in-cheek, he claimed that "we are all zombies"  ;-)

But, parsing out the particularities of his wording and its explicit
and implied semantics would require more work than I'm willing to put
into this right now...

ben

On Mon, Nov 24, 2008 at 4:36 PM, Ed Porter <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> Ben
>

> Is Dennett saying (a) there is no real sense of awareness associated with
> human consciousness, or only (b) that --- in a manner similar to the way
in
> which life is created out of the complexity of biochemistry --- the human
> sense of consciousness is a construct created out of the complexity of the
> computations that take place in the human brain.
>

> The two are different.  Position (a) strikes me as stupid statement
(unless
> Dennett is a p-zombie, which is theoretically possible).  But (b) is quite
> reasonable, although not necessarily provable.
>

> I believe all of reality is "aware," in the sense that all its parts
> individually, in effect, sense and reacts to their surroundings, often
> creating complex feedback loops and vibes.  Presumably it would be clear,
> even according to position (b) above, that consciousness would be crafted
> out of such lower level consciousness.
>

> But it is not clear that the basic levels of awareness that the laws of
> physic tell us reality has within its own computing is sufficiently
similar
> to the sense of awareness we humans call consciousness, to consider that
our
> consciousness comes directly from that lower level awareness --- other
than
> by the fact that the existence and computing of physical reality provides
> the substrate for layers of complexity and self-organization, that allow
> modeling and computations based on of the regularities of sensed reality
---
> modeling and computations that operate at such a much higher level of
> organization than the basic level of awareness inherent in all of reality
> --- that human consciousness would appear to be something very different
> indeed.
>

> I have seen no aspect of brain science or other scientific information
that
> indicates there is any direct connect between the level of awareness
> experienced by basic physical particles, atoms, and molecules, and
> subjective sense of awareness created in the human mind, other than that
> basic physical reality provides the foundations of being and computation
> upon which the much higher levels of organization that provide human
> awareness are built.
>

> If you have communicable evidence to the contrary, please enlighten me.
>

> Ed Porter

Ben Goertzel, PhD
CEO, Novamente LLC and Biomind LLC
Director of Research, SIAI
[EMAIL PROTECTED]

"The empires of the future are the empires of the mind."
-- Sir Winston Churchill