Ben:
yeah, it's coming back to me now .. I remember holons and holarchies
and all that stuff ;-)

However, Koestler was writing before complex dynamics and attractors
and such were well-understood and well-known ... and all this gives a
quite different flavor to the web of ideas he was exploring, I
think...

Ben,

Sure, his stuff is v. general, v. pre-AI and neglected because he didn't manage to establish a terminological framework that could be easily integrated into scientific thinking. I'm not suggesting you're repeating him. But you would benefit by relooking at him - and bear in mind that his whole framework is directed at explaining *creative* thinking, which is the whole focus of AGI - and his work on creative thinking is still arguably the best and crucial for AGI.