A little more poking around reveals further evidence that supports the
glocal model of brain memory (they talk about a
"distributed plus hub" model, which is part of the glocality idea,
though missing the nonlinear-attractor aspect that I think is critical
to distributed memory)

http://brain.guides.britannica.com/what-happens-when-things-go-wrong/on-the-cutting-edge-of-brain-research/on-the-cutting-edge-of-brain-research/82/3/

The paper is at

http://www.nature.com/nrn/journal/v8/n12/full/nrn2277.html

and some mildly critical commentary at

http://talkingbrains.blogspot.com/2008/01/semantics-and-brain-more-on-atl-as-hub.html

As Richard L would likely point out, the authors' data supports plenty
of different interpretations, and the one presented is only one of the
many plausible ones...

-- ben G

--
Ben Goertzel, PhD
CEO, Novamente LLC and Biomind LLC
Director of Research, SIAI
[EMAIL PROTECTED]

"I intend to live forever, or die trying."
-- Groucho Marx