2008/12/8 Richard Loosemore <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>:
> Another indication that we need to take the public relations issue very
> seriously indeed:  as time passes, this problem of the public attitude (and
> especially the religious attitude) to NBIC technologies will only become
> more extreme:

People who are highly religious tend to be very "past positive"
according the Zimbardo classification of people according to their
temporal orientation.  For them the ideal formula for living has
already been described by their favourite guru/prophet/leader, so
anything significantly different from this formula (or their
interpretation of it) is to be avoided or resisted.  This doesn't just
apply to nanotechnology, but any technology with the capacity to bring
about social or environmental change.

I agree that in time we will see more polarization around a variety of
technology related issues.