I'm no expert in these matters, but it seems this conversation is lacking the
following point(s).

Ability to score funding for any venture usually requires salesmanship and
connections. Salesmanship in turn requires that you are able to tell a good
story about your product/approach, and be able to dispel doubts. Charisma and
confidence help, and these can be developed to some extent if you're not one of
the lucky ones who are just natural salesmen.

So I'd say if your primary concern is scoring funding, a PhD is a costly way to
gain credibility. Credibility can be earned in other ways (such as having
demonstrable results), and other factors may ultimately be more important, such
as the ability to create and develop relationships with the people in your
field who may be in a good position to help you out.

Terren