> Right. But Occam's Razor is not complete. It says simpler is better, but 1)
> this only applies when two hypotheses have the same explanatory power and 2)
> what defines simpler?

A hypothesis is a program that outputs the observed data. It "explains" the
data if its output matches what is observed. The "simpler" hypothesis is the
shorter program, measured in bits.

The language used to describe the data can be any Turing complete programming
language (C, Lisp, etc) or any natural language such as English. It does not
matter much which language you use, because for any two languages there is a
fixed length procedure, described in either of the languages, independent of
the data, that translates descriptions in one language to the other.

> For example, the simplest hypothesis for all visual interpretation is that
> everything in the first image is gone in the second image, and everything in
> the second image is a new object. Simple. Done. Solved :) right?

The hypothesis is not the simplest. The program that outputs the two frames as
if independent cannot be smaller than the two frames compressed independently.
The program could be made smaller if it only described how the second frame is
different than the first. It would be more likely to correctly predict the
third frame if it continued to run and described how it would be different than
the second frame.

> I don't think much progress has been made in this area, but I'd like to know
> what other people have done and any successes they've had.

Kolmogorov proved that the solution is not computable. Given a hypothesis (a
description of the observed data, or a program that outputs the observed data),
there is no general procedure or test to determine whether a shorter (simpler,
better) hypothesis exists. Proof: suppose there were. Then I could describe
"the first data set that cannot be described in less than a million bits" even
though I just did. (By "first" I mean the first data set encoded by a string
from shortest to longest, breaking ties lexicographically).

That said, I believe the state of the art in both language and vision are based
on hierarchical neural models, i.e. pattern recognition using learned weighted
combinations of simpler patterns. I am more familiar with language. The top
ranked programs can be found at http://mattmahoney.net/dc/text.html

 -- Matt Mahoney, matmaho...@yahoo.com