I wasn't trying for a detailed model of creative thinking with explanatory
power -  merely one dimension (and indeed a foundation) of it.

In contrast to rational, deterministically programmed computers and robots wh.
can only operate in closed spaces externally, (artificial environments) and
only think in closed spaces internally,  human (real AGI) agents are designed
to operate in the open world externally, (real world environments) and to think
in open worlds internally.

IOW when you think about any creative problem, like "what am I going to do
tonight?" or "let me write a post in reply to MT" - you *don't* have a nice
neat space/frame of options lined up as per a computer program, which your
brain systematically checks through. You have an open world of associations -
associated with varying degrees of power - wh. you have to search, or since AI
has corrupted that word, perhaps we should say "quest" through in haphazard,
nonsystematic fashion. You have to *explore* your brain for ideas - and it is a
risky business, wh. (with more difficult problems) may "draw a blank".

(Nor BTW does your brain "set up a space" for solving creative problems - as
was vaguely mooted in a recent discussion with Ben. Closed spaces are strictly
for rational problems).

IMO though this contrast of narrow AI/rationality as "thinking in closed
spaces" vs AGI/creativity as "thinking in open worlds" is a very powerful one.

Re your examples, I don't think Koestler or Fauconnier are talking of "defined"
or "closed" spaces.  The latter is v. vague about the nature of his spaces. I
think they're rather like the "formulae" for creativity that our folk culture
often talks about. V. loosely. They aren't used in the strict senses the terms
have in rationality - logic/maths/programming.

Note that Calvin's/Piaget's idea of consciousness as designed for "when you
don't know what to do" accords with my idea of creative thinking as effectively
starting from a "blank page" rather than than a ready space of options, and
going on to explore a world of associations for ideas.

P.S. I should have stressed that the "open world" of the brain is
**multidomain**, indeed **open-domain" by contrast with the spaces of programs
wh. are closed, uni-domain. When you search for "what am I going to do..?"
your brain can go through an endless world of domains -  movies,call a friend,
watch TV, browse the net, meal, go for walk, play a sport, ask s.o. for novel
ideas, spend time with my kid ... and on and on.

The "space thinking" of rationality is superefficient but rigid and useless for
AGI. The "open world" of the human, creative mind is highly inefficient by
comparison but superflexible and the only way to do AGI.