Ian Parker wrote

> There are the military costs,

Do you realize that you often narrow a discussion down to military
issues of the Iraq/Afghanistan theater?

Freeloading in social simulation isn't about guys using a plane for
free. When you analyse or design a system you look for holes in the
system that allow people to exploit it. In complex systems that happens
often. Most freeloading isn't much of a problem, just friction, but
some have the power to damage the system too much. You have that in
the health system, social welfare, subsidies and funding, the usual
moral hazard issues in administration, services a.s.o.

To come back to AGI: when you hope to design, say, a network of
heterogenous neurons (taking Linas' example) you should be interested
in excluding mechanisms that allow certain neurons to consume resources
without delivering something in return because of the way resource
allocation is organized. These freeloading neurons could go undetected
for a while but when you scale the network up or confront it with novel
inputs they could make it run slow or even break it.

> If someone were to come
> along in the guise of social simulation and offer a reduction in
> these costs the research would pay for itself many times over.

SocSim research into "peace and conflict studies" isn't new. And
some people in the community work on the Iraq/Afghanistan issue (for
the US).

> That is the way things should be done. I agree absolutely. We could in
> fact
> take steepest descent (Calculus) and GAs and combine them together in a
> single composite program. This would in fact be quite a useful exercise.

Just a note: Social simulation is not so much about GAs. You use
agent systems and equation systems. Often you mix both in that you
define the agent's behavior and the environment via equations, let
the sim run and then describe the results in statistical terms or
with curve fitting in equations again.

> One last point. You say freeloading can cause o society to disintegrate.
> One
> society that has come pretty damn close to disintegration is Iraq.
> The deaths in Iraq were very much due to sectarian blood letting.
> Unselfishness if you like.

Unselfishness gone wrong is a symptom, not a cause. The causes for
failed states are different.