David,

On Wed, Aug 4, 2010 at 1:45 PM, David Jones <davidher...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Understanding what you are trying to accomplish and how you want the system
> to work comes first, not math.

It's all the same. First comes the qualitative, then comes the quantitative.

> If your neural net doesn't require training data,

Sure it needs training data -real-world interactive sensory input training
data, rather than static manually prepared training data.

I don't understand how it works or why you expect it to do what you want it
> to do if it is "self organized". How do you tell it how to process inputs
> correctly? What guides the processing and analysis?

Bingo - you have just hit on THE great challenge in AI/AGI., and the source
of much past debate. Some believe in maximizing the information content of
the output. Some believe in other figures of merit, e.g. success in
interacting with a test environment, success in forming a layered structure,
etc. This particular sub-field is still WIDE open and waiting for some good
answers.

Note that this same problem presents itself, regardless of approach, e.g.
AGI.

Steve