> I should dredge up and forward past threads with them. There are some flaws
> in their chain of reasoning, so that it won't be all that simple to sort the
> few relevant from the many irrelevant mutations. There is both a huge amount
> of noise, and irrelevant adaptations to their environment and their
> treatment.

They have evolved many different populations in parallel, using the same
fitness criterion.  This provides powerful noise filtering

> Even when the relevant mutations are eventually identified, it isn't clear
> how that will map to usable therapies for the existing population.

yes, that's a complex matter

> Further, most of the things that kill us operate WAY too slowly to affect
> fruit flies, though there are some interesting dual-affecting problems.

Fruit flies get all the  major ailments that kill people frequently, except
cancer.  heart disease, neurodegenerative disease, respiratory problems,
immune problems, etc.

> As I have posted in the past, what we have here in the present human
> population is about the equivalent of a fruit fly population that was bred
> for the shortest possible lifespan.

Certainly not.  We have those fruit fly populations also, and analysis of
their genetics refutes your claim ;p ...

ben g