Title: Message
Dear all,

at
http://www.umanitoba.ca/faculties/science/botany/labs/ecology/fractals/measuring.html

one can read the following

"The fractal dimension is estimated separately for each profile from the log-log plot of cell count against step size (D = 2 - slope, where 1 <= D <= 2). The average of these values plus one provides an estimate of the surface fractal dimension."

Burrough's method (using the slope of the log-log plot of the semivariogram to calculate the fractal dimension of 1 dimensional transect or profile) could thus be extended to a 2 D case (a surface). Has anyone references discussing the use of Burrough's method when applied to a 2 D case?

Unless one considers the investigated phenomenon completely isotropic, averaging the fractal dimensions derived from the slopes of directional log-log semivariograms may not provide any useful/reliable information.

Has someone on the list any experience with this kind of issue?

Thanks very much for any help.

Best regards,

Gregoire

PS: I know there are other techniques to calculate the fractal dimension of a surface but I'm only interested in those involving the computation of the semivariance.

Gregoire Dubois (Ph.D.)
JRC - European Commission
IES - Emissions and Health Unit
Radioactivity Environmental Monitoring group
TP 441, Via Fermi 1
21020 Ispra (VA)
ITALY

Tel. +39 (0)332 78 6360
Fax. +39 (0)332 78 5466
Email: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
WWW: http://www.ai-geostats.org
WWW: http://rem.jrc.cec.eu.int

* To unsubscribe to ai-geostats, send the following in the subject or in the body
(plain text format) of an email message to [EMAIL PROTECTED]

Signoff ai-geostats