From: Syed Abdul Rahman Shibli [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent: 16 July 2004 19:23
To: Gregoire Dubois
Cc: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: [ai-geostats] Fractals & Semivariance

Not sure how anisotropic "fractal" spatial correlation models would fit in the whole scheme of things. You're essentially assuming a power law model (Brownian motion) to model the spatial correlation, which implicitly assumes a phenomena with an infinite capacity for dispersion, i.e. no range. The ratio of two fractal dimensions is not necessarily the same as the ratio of two ranges in the two directions of maximum and minimum continuity, which is the traditional measure of "anisotropy".

However, practically speaking you can still calculate experimental variograms for two, three, or four separate directions and derive the log-log estimate of the fractal dimension from these separate variograms. I wouldn't know what this will physically mean, except to say that I have a phenomena with different capacities for dispersion in different directions.

Cheers

Syed

Dear all,

at
http://www.umanitoba.ca/faculties/science/botany/labs/ecology/fractals/measuring.html

one can read the following

"The fractal dimension is estimated separately for each profile from the log-log plot of cell count against step size (D = 2 - slope, where 1 <= D <= 2). The average of these values plus one provides an estimate of the surface fractal dimension."

Burrough's method (using the slope of the log-log plot of the semivariogram to calculate the fractal dimension of 1 dimensional transect or profile) could thus be extended to a 2 D case (a surface). Has anyone references discussing the use of Burrough's method when applied to a 2 D case?

Unless one considers the investigated phenomenon completely isotropic, averaging the fractal dimensions derived from the slopes of directional log-log semivariograms may not provide any useful/reliable information.

Has someone on the list any experience with this kind of issue?

Thanks very much for any help.

Best regards,

Gregoire

PS: I know there are other techniques to calculate the fractal dimension of a surface but I'm only interested in those involving the computation of the semivariance.

Gregoire Dubois (Ph.D.)
JRC - European Commission
IES - Emissions and Health Unit
Radioactivity Environmental Monitoring group
TP 441, Via Fermi 1
21020 Ispra (VA)
ITALY

Tel. +39 (0)332 78 6360
Fax. +39 (0)332 78 5466
Email: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
WWW: http://www.ai-geostats.org
WWW: http://rem.jrc.cec.eu.int

* To unsubscribe to ai-geostats, send the following in the subject or in the body (plain text format) of an email message to [EMAIL PROTECTED]

Signoff ai-geostats