If hardware manufactures wanted their products to have good support on
Linux, all they have to do is publish the hardware programming details, and
the linux community will do the actual driver development.
I still don't understand what manufactures are protecting by not releasing
the programming details needed for 3rd parties to develope their own
drivers.

All chip only manufactures publish the details.
I don't have any Philips hardware, but there is a principal here.

Cheers
James