I've been seeing talk of ALSA support for serial interfaces lately, and
have found myself searching for it as well. I have a laptop that I would
like to add MIDI support to, I only need 1 input (output not really
necessary, just want to connect a keyboard). I searched through the
archives (with google of course, as geocrawler is severely broken) and
found some posts on using the Mediator MS-124W. I found the driver in
the ALSA source and noticed that only the MS-124W and 124T are supported
currently. Since I don't need anything fancy, the MS-124W is a bit
overkill and a lot more pricey as well ($100 more than the MS-101).
Someone documented in the driver that they had documentation on the
other models but no units to test with. If I bought the MS-101, would it
be possible to get this information, and how different is it than the
MS-124W (to gauge how hard a driver implementation would be).

An alternative to this would be to use a USB MIDI interface, but AFAIK
ALSA doesn't support this yet, which is useless to me. Any ideas of when
this will happen and how much work would be involved.

Thanks. Please CC as I'm not on the list anymore (going traveling soon).

P.S. I BCC'd the driver author (determined from source), I'll understand
if he is too busy to respond :)

--
    Josh Green
    Smurf Sound Font Editor (http://smurf.sourceforge.net)