Just as a general point to note. We are not putting the audio card into AC3 mode.
We might be doing "passthru mode" or "spdif non-audio", but never just AC3 mode.
I help with the "xine" (a free media player http://xine.sf.net) that can play DVDs.
DVDs have AC3 audio tracks and DTS audio tracks.
xine uses "spdif non-audio" and "passthru mode" when used with alsa.
It can therefore output AC3 and DTS tracks to an external decoder.
AC3 is the wrong term to use. "spdif passthru" is probably a better term to use, as the current "ac3_mode" seems to imply that DTS audio might not work.
Cheers
James