William wrote:
James Courtier-Dutton wrote:

William wrote:

James Courtier-Dutton wrote:

Audigy LS driver is now ready for inclusion into alsa-driver.
Get it from http://www.superbug.demon.co.uk/alsa

Are you going to work on any other Audigy-series drivers, e.g. Audigy 2 ZS? I'm finding the emu10k1 driver in alsa-driver-1.0.5a has serious problems with random intermittent distortion of the soundfont samples while they are being played on the soundcard's MIDI synthesiser, e.g. using aplaymidi -p 65:0. "Random intermittent distortion" means, e.g. the sound during MIDI playback becomes "muffled" for a minute or two and then returns to normal sound quality, or the sound wrongly becomes mono for a few seconds, and then returns to stereo. Also, it seems emu10k1 does not load soundfonts correctly, especially if you ever use any really large 25MB soundfonts.

I don't have an Audigy 2 ZS, so unless someone donates one, I can't help you there.

At the moment I also have an Audigy LS (5.1) which seems to have
similar problems to the Audigy 2 ZS.

Can you post to a web site your soundfonts file, and instructions on how to use them with the creative cards, I might be able to help.

The 25MB piano soundfont is here:
http://www.wstco.com/pianosounds/freesoundfont.htm
Please note the author Warren has told me his soundfont is not re-distributable.

ALSA soundfont loading:  asfxload WST25FStein_00Aug14.SF2
ALSA OSS-mode soundfont loading:  sfxload WST25FStein_00Aug14.SF2

Sample MIDI files for piano: http://members.aol.com/sdrodrian/

 $ aplaymidi -l
  Port    Client name                      Port name
  62:0    Midi Through                     Midi Through Port-0
  64:0    Audigy MPU-401 (UART) - Rawmidi  Audigy MPU-401 (UART)
  64:32   Audigy MPU-401 (UART) - Rawmidi  Audigy MPU-401 #2
  65:0    Emu10k1 WaveTable                Emu10k1 Port 0
  65:1    Emu10k1 WaveTable                Emu10k1 Port 1
  65:2    Emu10k1 WaveTable                Emu10k1 Port 2
  65:3    Emu10k1 WaveTable                Emu10k1 Port 3
  72:0    Virtual Raw MIDI 1-0             VirMIDI 1-0
  73:0    Virtual Raw MIDI 1-1             VirMIDI 1-1
  74:0    Virtual Raw MIDI 1-2             VirMIDI 1-2
  75:0    Virtual Raw MIDI 1-3             VirMIDI 1-3

 $ aplaymidi -p 65:0 midi_music_file.mid

An even better test would be to do some experiments on an Audigy using
Rosegarden 4 0.9.8 for MIDI playback, JACK audio, etc
http://www.rosegardenmusic.com/

I have a cheepo Audigy 2 (old version) that I might be able to reproduce your problems on.

I don't work with MIDI much, which is why I have not added MIDI support to the Audigy LS driver at the moment.

I hope you will add MIDI support; I think it would be a great improvement.

William

I have played some .mid files now, but I have not noticed any problems with my Audigy 2.

When I downloaded the fonts file, mine had a different name to yours.
Yours: WST25FStein_00Aug14.SF2
Mine: WST25FStein_00Sep22.SF2

Can you provide me with a .mid file that shows the problems and is easy to reproduce the problems?

Cheers
James