On Mon, 2003-12-29 at 17:33, Dave Edwards wrote:

> > Dave,
> >    OK, I've never done 2.6 work, so that part I'm goign to be no help,
> > but from the lsmod info there are no Alsa sound modules loaded. Either
> > it's not loading at all, or did you possibly try to build it into the
> > kernel?
>
> That's right.

OK, so I'm not exactly sure what you mean by 'That's right', but if you
meant you built Alsa into the kernel then I'd recommend building it all
as modules for now.

> > I wouldn't recommend that if indeed that's what you did as it
> > just makes it difficult to get things going.
>
> I was wondering about that, as most of the documentation I've read is
> very module-oriented.

And I think for good reasons. From your and my point of view, since
everyone runs modular, you should run modular until you get things
working. After that you can try building it in, but not to start.

> > Also, do you see anything in the output of dmesg?
>
> Oh yes, forgot about that.  The relevant lines appear to be:
> Advanced Linux Sound Architecture Driver Version 0.9.7 (Thu Sep 25
> 19:16:36 2003 UTC). request_module: failed /sbin/modprobe -- snd-card-0.
> error = -16 PCI: Found IRQ 10 for device 0000:00:0b.0
> PCI: Sharing IRQ 10 with 0000:00:01.3
> PCI: Sharing IRQ 10 with 0000:00:01.2
> ALSA device list:
>   #0: Dummy 1
>   #1: Virtual MIDI Card 1
>   #2: Sound Blaster Live! (rev.8) at 0xdf00, irq 10

OK, so here we have a complaint about looking for modules. Also, even if
it was working, it would appear the default device #0 is the dummy
device for some reason, which doesn't produce sound. (As far as I
know...)

> The second line of that is suspicious to me -- why would it be running
> modprobe for a module that doesn't exist?

Just because there's a mistake somewhere, or we're out on the edge
trying to build it in. Take it out of the kernel.