Lee Revell <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

>> No you should use:
>>
>>   ac3dec -C some_ac3_file.ac3
>
> No, that will decode the AC3 file on the host in software, what Nathan
> wants to get working is AC3 passthrough, where the receiver does the AC3
> decoding.

Sorry, I must respecfully disagree. I've just tried this command:

$ ac3dec -C en.ac3
Using PCM device 'plug:iec958:{AES0 0x2 AES1 0x82 AES2 0x0 AES3 0x2}'
AC3 Stream 48.0 KHz 384 kbps

And I can see the dolby digital AC3 indication on the display of my
Yamaha DSP-A1 amplifier which means the passthrough is workign fine.
(of course without taking into account the sata pb that's plaguing me
;-) )

And iecset shows:

$ iecset
Mode: consumer