On 06-07-08 00:49, Landis McGauhey wrote:

> Windows Device Manager calls it Creative SB audioPCI.
>
> cat /proc/asound/cards calls it ENS1371 - Ensoniq AudioPCI Ensoniq
> AudioPCI ENS1371.
>
> ALSACONF calls it ens1371 Creative Labs Ectiva EV1938.
>
> I'm confused!  Can anyone tell me if this card is suppported by ALSA?
> I bought it as Creative SB audioPCI specifically because it received
> 100% favorable reviews at the LinuxQuestions HCL, yet I get no sound
> (though there is an audible "click" in the headphones when ALSACONF
> loads the driver).

For Creative cards, generally the best method of tying some name to a
specific card is by the CT number that should be printed somewhere on
the board (generally along the non-contact side) although the Ectiva
variants might not have one of those...

Shouldn't much matter though; yes, the card should be supported. Your
/proc/asound/cards listing it means that you have the correct driver
loaded for it (snd-ens1371) and that it has found the card.

I suppose it's card 0 in /proc/asound/cards? Ie, you see:

[EMAIL PROTECTED]:~$ cat /proc/asound/cards
  0 [AudioPCI       ]: ENS1371 - Ensoniq AudioPCI
                       Ensoniq AudioPCI ENS1371 at 0x6800, irq 11

Make very sure that in "alsamixer" (start it from a console) at least
the "Master" and "PCM" sliders are adjusted up (up arrow while on it)
and unmuted ("M" while on it; there should be a white "OO" on a green
background just below the slider). "Master" full (100) and "PCM" at 74
are the 0 dB settings and should make for a good default in most
situations. If the card isn't card 0, you need to start alsamixer with
the "-c <number>" parameter.

Test functionality with the "speaker-test" program that you probabaly
have installed. Just starting it as "speaker-test" should produce (pink)
noise unto the card's output. Another minimal test of ALSA functionality
is grabbing some .wav file somewhere and playing it with "aplay
some.wav". Again, if the card's not card 0, you need parameters to these
programs (you need the "default:<number>" device in that case, see the
manpages).

Be aware that none of the AudioPCI card I have have onboard amplifiers
meaning they need powered speakers. I see you say "headphones" though
and I suppose any headphones should produce at least something at line
level so that should be okay I guess.

If speaker-test/aplay do produce sound, the job's over as far as ALSA is
concerned and any further problems should be looked at in the context of
whichever application and/or soundserver you use to try to play sound.

If they do not... do they _look_ like they're playing or are they
bombing out explicitly? And no funnies in "dmesg" after loading the driver?

Rene.